NEWS from Financial Planning Association of Pittsburgh
SALUTING SERVICE on May 22 honors Western Pennsylvania Veterans during Free Pre-Memorial Day Community Celebration at historic Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum
Financial Planning Association of Pittsburgh presents First Class Patriot Achievement Award honoring Veterans making a difference in their Communities
PITTSBURGH, PA (4/19/2012) – Giving back after coming home is just another reason for saluting veterans of the U.S. service branches. A veteran who is making a difference through service in his or her Western Pennsylvania community will be honored by the Financial Planning Association of Pittsburgh with the First Class Patriot Achievement Award at Saluting Service.
A free pre-Memorial Day celebration for the community, Saluting Service will be held on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at the historic Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum, 4141 Fifth Ave., Oakland, Pittsburgh, PA (15213). Admission is free, but reservations are required at www.fpapittsburgh.org or call 412-653-1054. Remaining tickets will be provided at the door.
The Financial Planning Association of Pittsburgh’s Saluting Service features outdoor picnic-style refreshments and entertainment, 6-7 pm. Soldiers & Sailors 6th Regiment United State Color Troops (USCT) Drum Corps Youth Re-enactors, featuring girls and boys ages 12-18, will perform outdoors and lead guests to the hall. www.soldiersandsailorshall.org/education-usct.html
WTAE sportscaster John Meyer, emcee for Saluting Service, will host the indoor program, 7-9 pm, kicked off by the 6th Regiment USCT Drum Corps’ procession. Saluting Service showcases:
- Adam Brock, American Idol 2012 semi-finalist and Washington, PA, native, featured vocalist in the 20-pieceTrinity Jazz Orchestra’s “God and Country,” a patriotic and inspirational set. Based in New Brighton, PA, the Trinity Music Group, Inc., a 501c3 non-profit corporation promoting, preserving and performing the jazz music art form. www.trinityjazz.com
- Awarding of the inaugural First Class Patriot Achievement Award to a nominee contributing to the community in which he/she lives in Western Pennsylvania.
- Presentation of a $10,000 donation to Veterans Leadership Program of Western Pennsylvania from FPA of Pittsburgh in honor of the top award winner. www.vlpwpa.org
- Lt. Col. (Ret.) Barry Bridger, a highly-decorated, 22-year veteran of the U.S. Air Force, will share his inspirational story. Lt. Col. Bridger, who flew more than 70 combat missions over North Vietnam, survived a six-year imprisonment in the infamous “Hanoi Hilton” at the same time as Sen. John McCain.
- Recognition of all nominees and veterans in attendance.
Self-guided tours of Soldiers & Sailors’ Hall of Valor may be taken prior to the indoor program.
The First Class Patriot Achievement Award was created by Financial Planning Association of Pittsburgh to honor past and/or present community service by veterans of any U.S. military branch, including reservists and National Guard, who reside in Western Pennsylvania. Nominations were solicited throughout 27 counties and the awardee will be announced prior to the event.
Contact Financial Planning Association of Pittsburgh at www.fpapittsburgh.org or via FPA of Pittsburgh, Saluting Service on Facebook.
About Financial Planning Association of Pittsburgh:
The Financial Planning Association® (FPA®) is the leadership and advocacy organization representing the financial planning community. FPA is the largest membership organization for personal financial planning experts in the U.S. and includes professionals from all backgrounds and business models. FPA helps connect thousands of consumers to competent and ethical planners who uphold the highest standards – FPA’s Standard of Care.
The Financial Planning Association of Pittsburgh has more than 300 members. The Pittsburgh chapter is comprised of experienced financial planners who are energized by member events and community service initiatives such as Saluting Service.
To find a planner near you or to learn more about the Code of Ethics adhered to by members, go towww.fpapittsburgh.org and click on “Planner Search”.
Editors: Interviews with FPA leadership, the awardee, speaker, and special guests are available. Photos of the nominees and award winners are available on request prior to or following the event.
Bio for Lt. Col. (Ret.) Barry Bridger:
Fact Sheet on Soldiers & Sailors 6th Regiment
United State Color Troops (USCT) Drum Corps Youth Re-enactors: