According to the new market research report “Protein Expression Market by Type (Escherichia Coli, Mammalian, Yeast, Pichia, Insect, Baculovirus and Cell-free), Products (Reagents, Competent Cells, Instruments, Services), Application, End-User and Region – Global Forecast to 2025” published by MarketsandMarkets™, is projected to reach USD 4.1 billion by 2025 from USD 2.2 billion in 2020, at a CAGR of 13.2% between 2020 and 2025.
Recent Developments in Industry;
- In 2020, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. acquired the biotechnology company, Qiagen (Germany). This acquisition will help Thermo Fisher Scientific to enhance its precision medicine portfolio through molecular diagnostics and improved life sciences solutions.
- In 2020, Merck announced plans for the construction of a new biotech development facility in Switzerland. The company will be investing USD 282.5 million for this purpose. This facility is going to strengthen the company’s presence in the protein expression market.
- In 2019, Agilent Technologies acquired BioTek Instruments (US). This acquisition expanded Agilent’s presence and expertise in cell analysis and strengthened its position in the growing immune-oncology and immunotherapy areas.
Growth Drivers in Depth:
- Increasing incidence of chronic diseases
- Growth in the geriatric population
- Increasing demand for protein biologics
- Growth in the life science and biopharmaceutical industries
- Increasing research activities on recombinant-based protein expression
Request Research Sample Pages:
The prokaryotic expression systems segment accounted for the largest share of the market.
Based on system type, segmented into prokaryotic expression systems, mammalian cell expression systems, insect cell expression systems, yeast expression systems, cell-free expression systems, and algal-based expression systems. The prokaryotic expression systems segment accounted for the largest share of the global protein expression market in 2019. The large share of this segment is attributed to the low cost and ease of use of prokaryotic expression systems.
The reagents segment accounted for the largest share of the protein expression industry in 2019.
Based on product and service, segmented into reagents, expression vectors, competent cells, instruments, and services. The reagents segment accounted for the largest share of the market in 2019. The large share of this segment is mainly due to the increasing research activities in the field of protein expression and the large-scale production of antibodies and vaccines.
Download PDF Brochure:
Asia Pacific is expected to grow at the highest rate in the market. The major factors driving the growth of this market include high incidence of chronic diseases, increasing public and private investments, and increase in life sciences research.
Key Market Players;
The prominent players in the global protein expression market include Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (US), Merck KGaA (Germany), Agilent Technologies, Inc. (US), Genscript Biotech Corporation (US), Takara Bio, Inc. (Japan), Bio-Rad Laboratories (US), Lonza (US), Promega Corporation (US), New England Biolabs (US), Oxford Expression Technologies Ltd. (US), and Synthetic Genomics Inc. (US).
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the largest player in the market. The large share of this company can be attributed to its strong suite of expression vectors, reagents, competent cells, and instruments. Owing to its strong sales and distribution network, the company has a significant global footprint. Additionally, the large number of production sites give it a competitive advantage over other players in the protein expression market. The company focuses on product launches to create a strong foothold in the market. In 2018, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. launched the Gibco ExpiSf System, the first-ever chemically defined protein expression system. The company further intends to strengthen its presence in this market by investing in R&D. Its extensive R&D activities enable it to increase its depth of capabilities in protein expression solutions and services and to provide innovative products and services in the market space.